SAN FRANCISCO: YouTube on Tuesday confirmed it had resolved a technical issue that briefly disrupted access to the platform worldwide, following widespread reports of outages from users.
Pakistan Eye Super Eights Spot as Usman Tariq Backs Team to Bounce Back Against Namibia
The company said the disruption was caused by a malfunction in its recommendation system, which prevented videos from appearing across several YouTube services. In an official update, the platform stated that the problem had been fixed and all services — including YouTube.com, the mobile app, YouTube Music, Kids, and TV — were operating normally again.
Outage-tracking website Downdetector recorded more than 320,000 user reports at the peak of the disruption in the United States. The service noted that its figures are based on user-submitted reports, meaning the total number of affected users could have been higher.
Users also reported service interruptions in several countries, including India, Britain, Australia, and Mexico.
According to market research firm Statista, YouTube had surpassed 2.5 billion global viewers by early 2025, while its music and premium subscription services reached 100 million subscribers. Parent company Google has previously said viewers watch more than one billion hours of YouTube content daily on television screens alone, with over 500 hours of video uploaded every minute.
Industry analysts continue to view Google’s $1.65 billion acquisition of YouTube in 2006 as a landmark deal that combined advanced search and advertising capabilities with one of the world’s most popular video-sharing communities.
