Sindh government seeks judicial commission to investigate Mir Raza Ali murder case in Karachi.Sindh government moves to seek a judicial commission into the Mir Raza murder case.

The Sindh government has once again decided to request the chief justice of the Sindh High Court (SHC) to constitute a judicial commission to investigate the murder of Mir Raza Ali, the Sindh chief minister’s spokesperson said on Sunday.

The decision follows concerns raised by Ali’s family over the investigation. The spokesperson said the government had taken the family’s reservations “extremely seriously” and had received a letter addressed to the chief minister.

The proposed commission would conduct an impartial and transparent inquiry into the murder and examine shortcomings in the investigation, including evidence and other aspects requiring further examination.

It would also review the roles of police officers, medico-legal officials and other relevant authorities. The commission could recommend action if it found negligence, dereliction of duty, professional misconduct or evidence tampering.

Petrol price rises by Rs3.81, diesel by Rs3.59 per litre

Under the Sindh Tribunals of Inquiry Ordinance 1969, the commission would have powers similar to those of a civil court. It could summon witnesses, record statements on oath and requisition documents and official records.

The commission would also have the authority to recommend further investigation and forensic analysis.

The Sindh chief minister has directed government departments, institutions and officials to fully cooperate with the inquiry, while the Home Department would provide secretariat support.

The commission is expected to submit its findings and recommendations to the Sindh government within 30 days of its establishment. Its tenure could be extended if necessary to complete the investigation.

However, Mir Raza’s father, Mir Hussain, has expressed reservations about the proposed judicial commission. He said he would approach the SHC on Monday and seek the formation of a joint investigation team (JIT) to investigate his son’s death.

The case

Mir Raza, 25, was allegedly kidnapped from PECHS before his body was found in bushes near a wedding hall in Gulistan-e-Johar on July 29.

The case initially raised questions over whether he had been murdered or died by suicide. However, findings from a second post-mortem supported the family’s claim that he had been murdered.

The investigation has faced public scrutiny following earlier lapses, which were also acknowledged by the Sindh police chief.

The proposed judicial inquiry is intended to address the family’s concerns and establish whether shortcomings in the investigation affected the search for evidence or the handling of the case.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *